main

Dog Facts

Do dogs drink wine?

Wine-640x480.jpg

The simple answer is NO.

Wine is an alcoholic beverage made from fermented grapes or other fruits.

Due to a natural chemical balance, grapes ferment without the addition of sugars, acids, enzymes, water, or other nutrients.

Yeast consumes the sugar in the grapes and converts it to ethanol and carbon dioxide.

Well, ethanol in wine is toxic for dogs.

Ethanol poisoning occurs from exposure to the chemical, orally or through the skin and results most commonly in a depression of the central nervous system.

This can be expressed in dogs as drowsiness, lack of coordination or unconsciousness.

The potential toxicity of each glass of wine if consumed by a dog relies on two things: the amount of grapes used to make the wine and the size of the dog.

Wines that are made solely of grapes, with no other fermented fruit, are potentially more dangerous than an apple wine or an apricot wine.

The size of the dog is the other factor: just like a smaller human will be more affected by one glass of wine than a larger human, a smaller dog may get sick from a little wine while a larger dog may be fine.

Symptoms may develop in a 15 to 30 minutes after ingestion wine on an empty stomach and up to two hours later when wine is ingested on a full stomach.

Other effects may include damage to body cells and symptoms such as incontinence, slowed heart rate and also a heart attack.

Even if you dog receives quick and efficient treatment, there is no guarantee the kidneys won’t fail!

So, better keep a glass of wine only for you!